Dog-friendly Getxo-Getxo with your dog
With large parks, walks and hiking trails and an exquisite gastronomic culture, Getxo is a Dog-Friendly town where you can enjoy a few pleasant days with your dog.
Getxo has a wide variety of establishments, activities, open spaces and means of transport adapted so that you can be with your pets.
Excursions and hiking with your dog in Getxo
Getxo has both coastal and inland trails to enjoy with your dog.
There is a quiet walkway in the Bolue wetlands, next to the Fadura sports centre, along which more than 120 species of birds live.
The route starts at the entrance wall, next to Larrañazubi School. After crossing a small wooden bridge, you come to a viewpoint from which you can look out over the fresh water of the wetlands.
This place is surrounded by ten hectares of vegetation typical of riverside forests.
The walk starts at the foot of the Bizkaia Bridge, known as the Puente Colgante (literally ‘Hanging Bridge’). Walking in the direction of the Abra Bay, you will come to the Las Arenas dock. Palatial mansions are located along this route on the Stroll past the Great Mansions (Paseo de las Grandes Villas), which take us back to the golden age of Getxo.
Walking further along this route will take you to Ereaga beach. Outside the swimming season, dogs can enjoy this beach from 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m.
On the final stretch of the Ereaga quay, you will come to Getxo Old Port. This is a traditional enclave with a seafaring ambience and a green area where you can take a break and enjoy views of the Abra Bay.
The approximate duration of this gentle stroll beside the sea is about an hour.
If you want to go further, the route continues in the direction of Arrigunaga beach. There, you will reach the La Galea walkway, where you will find interesting monuments such as Aixerrota Windmill and La Galea Fort, until you finally come to Gorrondatxe-Azkorri beach.
We recommend that you wear sports shoes to complete the entire route.
Canine recreation areas
Getxo has the following canine recreation areas for dogs to enjoy freely, i.e. they can run around freely while being monitored, between 4:00 p.m. and 11:00 a.m., except for those classified as PPP. For reasons of health and hygiene, pets are not allowed on the beaches of Las Arenas, Ereaga and Arrigunaga during the summer season, from May to September.
- Evaristo de Churruca quay and Las Arenas beach
- Ereaga beach and the backfill in the Old Port
- Arrigunaga beach
- La Galea walkway (from Aixerrota to the boundary with Sopela)
- The walkway parallel to the River Gobela and Avenida Los Chopos.
- Zugazarte – Pine forest - Andrés Larrazabal
- San Joseren park
- Villa de Plentzia
- Artaza Hotel park
- Darío Regoyos park
- Real Socorro park
- Local Police
- Euskal Herria parallel to the train tracks
- Arrigunaga clear left side
- Aretxondo clear
- Usategi 2 park
- Kasune park
- Lañomendi park
- Ramos Uranga park
- Paella festival area and cemetery
In all other areas and public spaces, and according to this timetable, dogs are to be kept on a lead at all times.
Consult the map of dog-friendly recreational areas.
Dog-friendly dining in Getxo
You are advised to pre-book and indicate that you will be accompanied by your dog, as this will enable the establishment to reserve a table in the most convenient position for everyone:
- MiGaea Restaurant. Avenida Algorta, 12. Neguri.
- Txinuk Bar. Euskal Herria kalea, 2. Algorta.
- Burdinola Bar. Avenida Basagoiti, 75. Algorta.
- La Barmuteka Bar. Amesti, 10. Algorta.
- Taberna La Birrotxa. Bidebitarte, 3-5. Algorta.
- Flappers Bookshop Bar. Club, 2. Las Arenas.
- Oku Lounge Bar. Andrés Larrazabal, 5. Las Arenas.
- La Ola Restaurant. Muelle Ereaga, 14. Algorta. (Dogs welcome in the indoor terrace).
- Fadura Restaurant. Avenida de Los Chopos s/n. Algorta. (Beside the Fadura sports centre).
- Fangaloka Style. Zientoetxe errepidea, 70. Andra Mari.
Dog-friendly accommodation in Getxo
- Embarcadero Hotel Restaurant. Avenida Zugazarte, 51. Las Arenas.
- Petit Palace Tamarises Hotel. Muelle Ereaga, 4. Algorta.
When phoning to book, please indicate that you will be accompanied by your dog.
- Marmitako Sailing. Yacht outings from the marina, the Puerto Deportivo. Well-behaved dogs welcome.
- El Bote Tours. Departures from Bilbao,with stops in El Abra bay.Small and medium-sized dogs on a lead and wearing a muzzle are welcome for a fee of €2.
Dog-Friendly transport in Getxo
There are different means of transport both in order to get to Getxo and to move around Getxo with a dog.
How to get to Getxo with a dog
Line 1 of Metro Bilbao, which has stops for Getxo, allows access to dogs up to 8 kg, either on a lead or held in your arms.
All types of dogs are allowed on Renfe Cercanías, limited to one per person and with the obligation to wear a muzzle. The nearest stop is in Portugalete, from where you can get to Getxo by crossing the Puente Colgante (Bizkaia Bridge).
The Bizkaibus bus service links almost all the towns and villages in Bizkaia, providing an extensive and reliable public transport service. Check here for all the routes that pass through Getxo.
How to get about Getxo with a dog
- Metro Bilbao. There are 7 bus stops in Getxo: Areeta (Las Arenas) - Gobela - Neguri - Aiboa - Algorta - Bidezabal – Ibarbengoa. Dogs up to 8 kg are allowed to travel, either on a lead or held in your arms.
- Bizkaia Bridge. Dogs up to 40 kg are allowed access to the passenger side compartment, either on a lead or in a pet carrier. Furthermore, dogs of any size can access the main deck area. Dogs travel free of charge. For safety reasons, dogs are not allowed access to the overhead footbridge.
- Ereaga panoramic lift and Old Port lift. Both can be accessed with dogs free of charge, either on a lead or held in your arms.
- Bizkaitaxi. To travel with a dog by this means of transport, it is necessary to give prior notice to the central switchboard, which will be responsible for sending a vehicle adapted for dogs. Tel. no.: 94 491 53 53
- Bizkaibus. Dogs weighing less than 8 kg are allowed to travel in a cage or a closed pet carrier.
- Gasoline (El Bote). Dogs of all sizes are welcome provided they are well-behaved and kept on a lead.
We have information about Dog-Friendly establishments in the municipality at the Getxo Tourist Offices.
Find out more about the routes, establishments, transportation and Dog-Friendly trails in the Getxo with your dog guide. This information has been collected in collaboration with Dog Vivant (December, 2018).
Find out more about the different routes, practical information and Dog-Friendly sites in the Basque Country in the Euskadi with your dog guide.
- If you run a dog-friendly or dog-related business in Getxo, take part in following editions. Check here the basic aspects that establishments should cover
In Getxo pets are not prohibited from entering bars and coffee shops, unless the owner expressly forbids this.
View the section on Getxo Town hall legislation at: Environment-Pets