Recognition of qualifications from foreign universities

Anyone can request that their higher education qualifications awarded in another country be recognised.

Recognition grants official validation to these qulifications in Spain for the same official and academic effect for which the qualification is recognised from the date on which recognition is granted. In some cases, this recognition might be subject to the fulfilment of additional educational requirements.

Two types of recognition can be requested:

  • A specific, official, Spanish university qualification
  • A Diploma or Degree


Go to the Office of the government delegate in the Basque Country with the necessary documentation and pay the fee.

Recognition of non-university foreign qualifications and studies

The recognition of qualifications and studies from foreign educational systems and their Spanish equivalence can be requested:

  • Compulsory Secondary Education Certificate
  • First year of the Higher Secondary Education Course
  • Higher Secondary Education Certificate
  • Vocational training courses
  • Artistic studies

To find out what the equivalent studies are equivalent tables by country can be consulted.

For employment reasons, recognition of studies completed in another country in years previous to the 4th year of Compuslory Secondary Education, equivalent to that of the Spainish ones can be applied for.


The application including all the necessary documentation and the payment of the fee should be presented through Zuzenean.

Further information

With regard to accreditation , in Bizkaia there is a specialised body which can be consulted free of charge for further information and guidance: