The secrets of ham
In this ham tasting you can find out for yourself just what ham hand sliced by experts has to offer, and can learn about the different cutting techniques.
At this workshop on cured ham and its slicing you can taste the following types of ham, accompanied by txakolí wine:
- "Ibérico cebo de campo" (farm-fed Iberian ham)
- "Ibérico de bellota" (acorn-fed Iberian ham) from Extremadura
- "Ibérico de bellota reserva" (Deluxe acorn-fed Iberian ham) from Guijuelo and "bellota 100%" (100% acorn-fed)
- "Ibérico de Guijuelo" (Iberian ham from Guijuelo)
Ham slicing techniques
Whole cured hams must be sliced properly if their full potential is to be appreciated. Proper slicing involves a number of steps:
- First, the ham must be placed on a stand with the trotter positioned upwards and the leg meat skewered on the spike at the bottom.
- Once the ham is properly positioned, a cut of around 2 cm must be made around the leg.
- Then the rind and fat around the outside of the ham must be removed.
- The lean meat must be extracted by making three incisions around the bridge bone to reveal the bone.
- The first slices must be taken from the stifle area, cutting downwards towards the trotter with one hand while the other rests on the side opposite the cut.
- As cutting continues, the edge of the tail-bone is marked with the knife and the meat is gradually separated from the bone.
Would you like to learn how to slice a whole ham and enjoy this exquisite delicacy? Why not give ham tasting a try?
€35/person (price for 2022)
Second and last friday of month. (Excep August and December)
2 people, maximum 6 people
Exquissitum Gourmet, Las Mercedes, 9 (Las Arenas)
Exquissitum Gourmet - Tlf. 946 52 49 02